Friday, November 10, 2006

Back in Nashville at JEA


NASHVILLE--- For the third autumn in a row, I have made a trek up to the Music City. This weekend I've joined almost 5,000 delegates attending the Fall Convention of the Journalism Education Association and National Scholastic Press Association.

In all my years of working with high school journalism, I've never seen this many of the young journalists in one place. This hotel is just PACKED with students and their teachers.

The last time I was here at Opryland Hotel was in the late 1990s for a Stellar Gospel Music Awards in December. I had come to cover the Stellar Awards that our Minister of Music, Byron Cage, was receiving. The story would later run in the Christian magazine for which I worked.

This time, journalism is the focus, but the audience is not magazine readers, but students who are learning through their work on newspapers, yearbooks and literary magazines.

In October 2005 and October 2004, I came up to Middle Tennessee State University for the Broadcast Education Association District Meeting.

Like last time here at the Opryland Hote (in December)l is all decked out for the Christmas holidays. I hope to take some photos here tomorrow before heading back South down I-65.

No comments: