Saturday, October 28, 2006

Journey to New Orleans


NEW ORLEANS-- After watching on television all the changes in the Big Easy in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, I had a chance this week to watch it all up-close.

It's a shame that I have not factored in time to write a detailed account of my trip to the Associated Press Managing Editors Convention, which was held October 25-28, 2005 at the Astor Crowne Plaza.

You could tell as you drove in on Interstate 10 that this was NOT the same city that I visited two years ago when the National Cable and Telecommunication Association(NCTA) met at the New Orleans Convention Center and we had dinner at one of the Bourbon Street restaurants in the historic French Quarter.

The number of dead trees and the vacant strip malls and homes viewable along I-10 could easily distract a first-time (since Katrina) driver.

No comments: