Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Working in the Windy City




CHICAGO-- I came for a journalism educators' conference. But, it was not a relaxing trip. With four presentations over three days and countless people to see, my latest trip to the Windy City has been a lot more work than play.

The Marriott Chicago Downtown is located on the "Magnificent Mile," the "main drag" if you will for downtown -- North Michigan Avenue. I've been here at least twice before and stayed at a different hotel. I think this time, I had the best view of the city-- from the 39th floor.




This is the biggest conference of the year for those of us who identify journalism as our main teaching area. The Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication has an accreditation arm and publishes the major academic journals in journalism.



This year's gathering was in Chicago and during that time, I had a chance to visit the Chicago Tribune along with give presentations on ethics and college newspapers, minorities and health communication and technologies and local television news.





It was also a reunion opportunity as one of my high school teachers was given the one of highest honors for diversity in journalism-- the Robert Knight Multicultural Award. I took time to pose for a photo with Prof. June Nicholson from Virginia Commonwealth University and Dr. Calvin Hall, who chaired the Knight Awards committee.

We had beautiful weather. But, other than the meeting down the street from our hotel at the Chicago Tribune, I only managed to get out as far as a few blocks in search of the right dinner venue with some friends on Friday night.

Next time I come here, I will have to leave more time for fun.

No comments: