Tuesday, January 15, 2008

R-Braves, Don't Go!


It's a sad day for baseball fans in my hometown of Richmond, Va. This afternoon, it was announced that the Richmond Braves are leaving Richmond for greener pastures in Gwinnett County, Ga.

While the International League farm team for the Atlanta franchise is probably not the first thing that baseball fans think of when they think of America's greatest pasttime, it is OUR hometeam.

That's why I just had to stop what I was doing on a busy Tuesday afternoon and reflect on the news that the first baseball team I ever knew will soon not be there when I go home.

The story is still developing as of this writing-- at least the reaction to it.

I will be interested to see what Mayor Doug Wilder and other officials have to say.

Much of this is related to the venue for the Braves. When I was kid, the old Parker Field (previous stadium for the Braves) was demolished and The Diamond was built as the new home for the team. I can remember getting excited about going to the Diamond.

We used to have Boy Scout's night at The Diamond.

Having visited other baseball venues in my adult life-- including the homes of the Atlanta Braves, the Arizona Diamondbacks and Chicago White Sox, I can see how The Diamond has become relic of yesteryear.

So, we can't really blame the team for moving if they couldn't get a nicer place to call home.

But, I will CERTAINLY be making my way to the Diamond at least once or twice this summer-- if for no other reason-- for old time's sake.

The Diamond is just 5 or 10 minutes from my house, down the street from my old elementary school on the Boulevard.

Well, that's all I'll say for now. But, I'm just so saddened by this news.

No comments: